Judging by the sheer amount of money it raked in Thor: The Dark World was the top choice for moviegoers this weekend.
No Surprise here.
And here is my reaction…
The action-thriller starring Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Natalie Portman and Anthony Hopkins, and the second follow-up to The Avengers, slayed the competition and earned $86.1 million in its opening weekend.
The sequel to the 2011 blockbuster grossed an estimated $7.1 million in Thursday-night previews and Friday-midnight screenings, its studio reported on Friday. Thor: The Dark World debuted much stronger than Thor, which opened the first coveted weekend in May and made $65.7 million, according to Box Office Mojo.
Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa took the very distant No.2 spot, earning 11.3 million.
The animated kid-friendly flick, Free Birds, took home $11.2 million and landed at No.3 and Las Vegas in No. 4.
The No.1 movie last weekend, the star-studded sci-fi ensemble Ender’s Game, rounded out the top 5, taking home $10.25 million.
* All estimates and stats as compiled per Box Office Mojo:
- Thor: The Dark World: $86.1 million
- Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa: $11.3 million
- Free Birds: $11.2 million
- Last Vegas: $11.1 million
- Ender’s Game: $10.25 million
- Gravity: $8.4 million
- 12 Years a Slave: $6.6 million
- Captain Phillips: $5.8 million
- About Time: $5.2 million
- Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2: $2.8 million